Ask a second question.
Ask a second question. The most interesting conversations come after the initial answer. It takes extraordinary discipline to refrain from answering your own question and, instead. answer a second question. Yet this is where the deepest conversations occur. I like to ask questions like these as follow-up questions:
- How did it feel when that happened?
- Can you elaborate on that?
- Why do you think that is important to you?
- Do you think you would have answered the same way five years ago?
- What emotion do you feel when you describe that?
This is just one of several excellent ‘rules’ for good conversation. Not just at dinner but at any event where a group of people are gathered and in close proximity.